age

Books - The Picture of Dorian Gray

Saturday, 18 July 2015



First of all. I hope you all like my new blog layout! I just felt like I needed a bit of a change for my blog to give it a more professional look, and this template is from the amazing kotryna bass so check out her designs! I created the header myself, I just wanted something more simple than my last one.

And secondly, after I had a little unintentional break from reading, I've begun to get back into it after relaxing on holiday, and a couple of months ago I completed The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. After reading his plays for my a-levels I was dying to read his one and only novel, and I really loved it.
Playing between vanity, love, shallowness and youth, Wilde shows the meaningless aestheticism of late 19th Century England in all its glory through his protagonist, the young and beautiful Dorian Gray. Believing everything in life should be beautiful, and art should be for arts sake and not for anything deeper, Gray begins obsess over the fear of losing his looks and his youth, sparked by seeing a painting of himself. However to his delight, as the years take it's toll, the portrait ages instead.
Its such a strange and fascinating book that relates the corruption of the mind to the deterioration of everything that youth brings, and its so interesting to see how it all ends for Dorian Gray, and how closely it relates to Oscar Wildes later years.

Honestly it was such a great read, would really recommend!


2 comments:

elena vincent said...

I read this back when I was at school and absolutely loved it. I've always wanted to re-read it, and the way you've described it is so spot on that I'm going to start it tonight!

I always love reading a book post :)

Elena | Itchy Bones

TBN Blog said...

This sounds like a really interesting read! x

The Belle Narrative