age

Start writing a diary

Sunday, 18 January 2015



I'm always thinking of where I want to be in the future. What my life will be like in a couple of decades or so. And I like the idea of having something to store my memories in, so one day in the future I can look back and remember the days I decided I wanted to write about or take photos of. And that's why I'm determined to keep a diary.
Now,  I've tried and failed to keep a diary probably since the age of being able to write. Starting every new page with the date and a 'dear diary' entry about everyday trivialities, but then soon losing interest and forgetting to write down anything for months.
However, I think I've finally found a way of actually wanting to keep my diary up to date.







First things first, find a diary/journal you'll want to keep writing in. Everything to do with size, how many pages, the front cover and lined or blank pages is important, and whether you want something sleek and expensive or cheap so you can decorate it yourself.
Don't feel like you need to write everyday. I've tried doing this but failed soon after realising that not everyday is worth writing about. If there isn't anything you feel you need to write about, they you don't need to. Just keep the diary for days that you really want to remember, or when you need and emotional outlet!
And of course it doesn't have to just be for words. Draw, doodle, create art. Use pens or paint. Sometimes its great to just have a scribble page. Make a page dedicated to your favourite song lyrics or poem.
Include photos randomly.  Facebook might not be around forever, get physical copies of your memories.
If you just feel like writing then make lists. Of your favourites songs, your goals, to do lists, places you want to travel. Literally anything.

Hope you enjoyed reading this post, and lets get off the computer for a minute to go back to basics and start a diary.

11 comments:

Misha said...

I've also been tried to keep a diary many times, since I was about eight! For the past couple of years I've done the thing where you put good memories in a jar and I've found that works well for me :)
Carpe Noctems

Cherry said...

I started doing this last year but it didn't last unfortunately, I do have one of those one line a day memory books though, which is a bit easier to keep up with!

Alice Young said...

This is such a great post - I've tried keeping a diary so many times as well and it just fails. Will try some of your tips!

The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

Paige Ryan said...

such a lovely post to read, i definetely want to start writing down little bits of my life even if its just a song title or a line :)
x
www.coralpaiges.blogspot.co.uk

Ariana said...

I've been thinking about starting one myself and yours looks so cute! x
----
http://breakfastataris.blogspot.com

Laura. said...

Great post, I think I might just do this! Need to remember the good moments as well as the bad. :)

Anything & Everything

Erin and Katherine said...

Love that you keep a diary. Something so romantic and special about it!

Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

Izzy K said...

This is such a cute idea xxx

http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/

Grace Cottrell said...

Great idea, I always end up giving up on all creative endeavours, my diary, drawing, that novel that time...
- Grace xx

P.S. Would really appreciate it if you could check out my blog and maybe follow if you feel so inclined? <3

http://voguebeach.blogspot.co.uk/

The Glitter Den said...

I've just been thinking the same thing! I'm definitely going to start one I think.

The Glitter Den

xxx

Emily Campbell said...

Love this post! Your point about Facebook is so true - people invest too many of their memories online and don't think about saving them for the future, maybe without it.

Emily x
wondersofafairytale.blogspot.co.uk