age

Books- favourites 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath

Monday, 8 September 2014



Sylvia had become something of a cult figure, which can be damaging when reading something of hers to just simply read it and not judge it based on her status in society. I had no idea what to expect from the Bell Jar, not even knowing what the bell jar was, all I really knew was that it was semi-autobiographical, and considering what happened to Plath, I wasn't expecting it to be a particularly light read.
And I was right in a lot of ways. The bell Jar is not a book that you can finish in one sitting. Its not very long but it took me weeks to get through, but it was worth it. Narrated by Esther Greenwood who is working at a job in New York that most people would kill for, she can't help but feel disillusioned. We follow Esther through flashbacks in her life from college to a graphic account of losing her virginity, and when it cuts back to the present we realise her mental health is declining.
I really loved this book and connected so much with Esther's thoughts and her confusion about where her life is going. The metaphor of her life being like tree branches, and setting off in different directions like "motherhood" and "career" is one of the reasons why this book has become a feminist staple, and it rightly deserves it's place as a must-read-before-you-die. Let me fine tune that statement, it is a book every teenage girl should read when they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with their life, like me!

5 comments:

Gail J said...

I've never heard of this but I'm gonna find one! x

Kelpa Raza said...

Sounds like a good book;) I love to read good books where I can get lost in it. May you can do a post on your fave books. Would love to know.
Have a lovely day.

Much love,

https://www.kelpasdiary.com

Heidi Caterina said...

Sounds lovely book! I may read it next since I finished reading the fault in our starts for three times. :D

www.searchingforlbd.com

www.searchingforlbd.com

Diana said...

I have never heard about it, but it sounds like a great book :)

Nilla Watson said...

I've been looking for a new book for a while. I'll purchase this one and see how I like it :)
Nilla Forever