age

Writing- Short Story 'Untitled' Part One

Monday, 14 July 2014

This story as of yet does not have a title, main plot line or date in which it will be finished. It was something I started writing when I felt like I need to write something.


We had all wanted the car for ages, my Father because everyone at the office had one, and my optimistic side thought it would be a good way to avoid the breath mint and old lady shampoo smell before school.

We had only had the car for a few months and already I was disillusioned.

Or maybe the reason why this particular journey seemed even more unbearable than usual was because I desperately wanted it to end and have the relief of stepping out on solid ground, but at the same time didn’t want to be hit by the realisation that we had arrived, announced by the inevitable “Here we are girls!”

My mother’s shrill, falsely cheerful tone would soon slice through the faint perfume-smelling aroma of our Volkswagen, and then she would turn to face the cream coloured backseats which contained her two daughters. One of which was bitterly glaring out the window, and the other running her svelte fingers through her thick hair.

My older sister, Violet, didn’t seem to resent this car as much as me. Then again, I’ve never known her to have any strong feelings about anything that didn’t involve the way she looked or which friend had called her that evening. She would never admit this of course, one of the main ingredients in the vanity cocktail is denial, but even now she was passing the time by casually glancing at herself in the rear view mirror every few minutes, then proceeding to remove the dusty pink lipstick stains from her teeth by swirling her tongue over them. Swiftly of course, as it wasn’t the most attractive manoeuvre.

I’ll always remember that shade of lipstick, and the first time I saw it on the yellowing tiled bathroom shelf. Vi had been in there for about half an hour prior to finally allowing me to brush my teeth, and there it was. Taunting me with the memories of her constantly staring at herself in any mirror she would come across, gliding colour across her perfectly curved cupids bow or brushing rouge onto her freckle-free cheeks. I was tempted to grab the thing and throw it out the window, but considering our parents had just split up I don’t think Mother would have appreciated a Violet tantrum at that moment.

That’s what they do. Things. Possessions.

They hold vivid memories, good and bad, when you got them or lost them or who gave them to you and why. Then they never cease to remind you of them every time they catch your eye. Even your sister’s cheap, rosy pink lipstick.

“Mum how much longer,” Violet suddenly exhaled, so fast all the words seem to merge together in a fed up, monotone. Maybe we did have something in common, as I averted my gaze from her to the back of my mothers head, as I also wanted to know the answer.

“Not long, it’s in the next town over,” she replied in such a sickly sweet voice it was almost sung, and she turned her head slightly to reveal a forced smile.

I’m not sure if this was a normal reaction to finding out your marriage was over, but then again I don’t know what it feels like to have a husband abandon you and your two children, so maybe this false happiness was just her way of dealing with it.

I don’t really know how I even feel about it. It was a shock of course, but then shock is a fleeting moment, over before you know it, and then you are forced to feel other emotions that actually try to deal with what you have just been told. A battle then begins in your head, whether to lash out in anger or give in and cry uncontrollably. Actually, I’m not sure if I feel like doing either of that. Maybe my repressed childhood memories had caused this significant insignificant lack of emotions. Maybe I just really didn’t care.
 

 
Word by Alice Beatty do not copy or steal without my consent.

2 comments:

Antonella said...

Such a nice post!
Keep in touch xoxo
Antonella

Helen* said...

Lovely story. thank you so much for sharing! I'm your newest follower and now looking forward to your next post! :)

I have a new blog post up, so would love to know your thoughts! :)

http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

xoxoxox